Monday, January 18, 2010

2 years ago

It's easy to remember what happened two years ago today...not only was it one of my best friend Ursula's birthday (Happy Birthday today, Urs!), but it was the day that changed the path of my second pregnancy. I woke up that morning and noticed I was bleeding (TMI for some people - sorry) after experiencing cramping and stomach pains earlier in the week. I noticed the stomach pains enough to stop what I was doing, get through it, and mention it casually to Kevin after it happened a few times. But on that Friday morning, I called the doctor and she asked me to come straight in, even though I had a Monday appointment already scheduled. I took my time, getting myself ready and getting Addison ready. I took her on to school and drove myself over to the doctor. I just knew she was going to say, "You need to go home this weekend, take it easy, and stay off your feet."
That is not what she ended up saying at all. Come to find out, I was dialated 1-2 inches and contracting 6-8 minutes apart at 25 weeks along. After she checked me out, the doctor told me all of this very calmly and said she would call the ambulance to transport me to the hospital. I was in total shock..I was scared and worried and started tearing up. I remember telling her, "Are you sure I need to go in an ambulance? I can drive myself straight there...or my mom works right down the street, I am sure she can pick me up and take me..." But she wasn't having that. Since I was upset, she asked me to dial Kevin's number and she got on the phone. When she started talking to him and telling him what was happening, Kevin was very worried! Imagine knowing your pregnant wife is going to her doctor because she is having some issues and getting a call directly from the doctor a few minutes after she is being examined...he thought I was in such bad shape at that point that I couldn't talk. Luckily, I did talk to him and let him know that I felt fine but I needed more medical attention. He hopped in the car immediately and ended up pulling into the hospital behind the ambulance that I was in...and he was coming from Katy! After arriving at the hospital, I got situated in my room with no idea what the plan was, how long I would be staying, or what the future held. I was put on a heavy dose of magnesium that evening and at some point, I was given a steroid shot to help strenghen Cooper's lungs.
January 18, 2008 was a day I will never forget.

2 comments:

  1. That is soooooo scary!!! And yet you stayed so strong. 2 years later you would never know Cooper was born early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got chills reading that. Sweet Cooper is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete